Egypt’s import PVC market in short supply; local prices gear up
Supplies remain broadly restricted
The PVC supply chain has seen little relief, as outages from hurricanes and maintenance shutdowns persisted at the US producers’ plants along the Gulf Coast. Although market players were positive that substantial output gains and inventory recovery could emerge in November, the availability has so far been scarce in Egypt.
Import prices at their highest since 2008
As can be seen from the graph below, import K67-68 prices have been on an uptrend for the past eight months. Even as prices slightly eased in October amid a brief appearance of lower priced forward-shipment cargoes, the persistent tightness has brought the latest levels to their highest in more than 12 years.
A 2% customs duty, imposed on PVC imports from non-Arab countries, has also been cited as one of the main reasons for increased prices. In addition to the 2% duty on PVC, ethylene dichloride (EDC) was exempted from taxes in an effort to provide local producers a competitive edge against imported materials.
EPC, TCI Sanmar offers up nearly 70% in 5 months
Local producers, meanwhile, have been either maintaining or increasing their offers since the start of the third quarter. Supported by persistent tightness in availability, EPC and TCI Sanmar’s offers have increased by nearly 70% on average since June.
Tracking the gains in both import prices and local producers’ announcements, domestic offers have increased by almost two-fold around the same time. With reduced availability chief among the culprits, many converters have turned their attention to the local producers’ increased export quotas.
Meeting scheduled to discuss PVC shortage
There have been reports of reduced allocations from the local producers for the past months.
Sources reported that the majority of the producers’ output has supposedly been allotted for export markets. According to market sources, a meeting took place on the evening November 23 between Egypt’s leading cable and pipe manufacturers and the local producers, EPC and TCI Sanmar, to discuss the shortage in the market.
The outcome of the meeting is hoped to result in an agreed set of targets that are in favour of both the local producers and the buyers.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: Turkey’s polymer imports rise to fresh records in Q1
- HDPE set to reach a plateau in Europe, LDPE fares better
- Bearish PP trend takes no respite on lackluster demand in Turkey
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months
- Turkish PP and PE players voice bearish expectations for May
- China’s local homo-PP prices slide below imports
- Irregular PE origins emerge at competitive prices in Europe