Ethylene prices move above HDPE, LLDPE in China; delta shrinks in SEA
Spot prices of ethylene have moved slightly above China’s import HDPE and LLDPE film markets while the premium PE carries over ethylene has notably shrunk in Southeast Asia.
Data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard reveal that spot ethylene prices on CFR China/SEA basis have jumped almost 130% since the firming trend kicked off in the third week of April. Prices currently stand at $805/ton CFR China and at $755/ton CFR SEA.
China: PE uptrend enters 4th week, but pace of gains lags behind C2
In China, import PE prices have increased for the fourth straight week, however the pace of gains has lagged behind the increases in spot ethylene prices.
According to ChemOrbis Price Index data, the weekly average of HDPE film prices on CIF China basis is currently standing $10/ton below spot ethylene prices on similar terms. HDPE film prices were carrying a premium of $400/ton over ethylene in around mid-April.
As for LLDPE film, the import market is currently standing $5/ton below the spot ethylene price.
SEA: HDPE-ethylene spread down $340 compared to 7 weeks ago
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index also suggest that the premium that import HDPE and LLDPE film prices carry over spot ethylene has shrunk considerably.
The weekly averages of HDPE and LLDPE film prices on CIF SEA basis are currently standing $60/ton above spot ethylene prices on similar terms. The HDPE-ethylene spread was around $400/ton seven weeks ago.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Crude oil market sentiment turns in favour of bulls
- Will European PVC take a breather from 9-month downtrend in February?
- Supply limitations bolster Feb PP and PE outlook in Turkey
- China’s import PP markets climb to 6-month highs prior to Lunar New Year
- Weak activities press import PE, PP suppliers for discounts in Egypt
- Price erosion continues inside Middle Eastern polyolefins markets
- European PP, PE markets open 2023 with renewed drops
- Tight supply keeps expectations bullish in Turkey’s PVC market
- End of China’s ‘zero-COVID’ stance: Double-edged sword for Asia PVC, PP and PE markets
- Mid-Eastern sellers approach China, SE Asia and Turkey with firmer PP, PE prices for Jan