Europe’s export PVC offers slide further, local remains firm
The strikes that kicked off in the latter part of May in France created some concerns about the smooth delivery of supplies from Europe to Turkey. Although some delays were reported, this has not prevented prices from registering further decreases in Turkey as the $900/ton CFR threshold has been broken recently.
This was anticipated in an earlier ChemOrbis Plastics News Gap between Turkey and Italy’s PVC market remains low by pointing to the smaller than usual gap between the two regions. This was interpreted to mean that European suppliers might shift their regular export volumes to Turkey in an attempt to hold their domestic markets firm in June.
Now that Europe’s local PVC market remains firm and export prices continue to slide, this gap appears to have come back to its traditional level. As can be seen from the graph below prepared by ChemOrbis Price Wizard that compares Turkey’s average import prices for European origins with Italy’s average local prices, the premium Italy carries over Turkey has gone back above $100/ton. This premium is traditionally around $100-200/ton, according to historical data from ChemOrbis Price Index, although this was not the case in March, April and May.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September
- Force majeure declarations rock the boat in Turkish PVC market