Engineering Polymers - Europe August 2017
|Month: August 2017|
EPS prices were mostly stable in August despite €30/ton lower styrene settlements. Trading was quiet due to the holiday period in Europe while deals were mostly closed at stable levels ahead of the bullish outlook for the coming month. Players started to report increase expectations of up to €70-100/ton on PS prices for September after the news of the force majeure declared by Total on styrene supplies from Gonfreville, France.
PA6 prices and PA 6,6 prices were mostly stable compared to July, defying August caprolactam contracts, which were settled down €30/ton. There were a few deals closed with small discounts. Sellers reported that demand for PA grades was rather good and stable from July despite the absence of market players for a couple of weeks due to the summer holidays. Upstream, September butadiene contracts were settled €25/ton higher from August at €775/ton FD NWE. Meanwhile, September outlook is stable for both PA 6 and PA 6,6.
August PC prices were stable on the month due to the limited activity during the holiday season. The outlook for September is stable to firmer on the back of tight availability and expectations of seeing better demand once all buyers come back to the market to replenish stocks.
PBT and POM prices were steady for another month. Some buyers had previously ordered volumes with delivery in September considering slower production rates in August. Supply and demand dynamics were rather balanced and the outlook for September is stable.
Spot PMMA prices were stable in August amidst quiet activity; however, quarterly prices continued to indicate three digit increases for the third quarter compared to June. Players continued to blame tight availability for PMMA and MMA increases as the main reason. PMMA prices are expected to hover around the current levels in September.
SAN prices tracked a mostly steady trend in August, with buyers asking for slight discounts on the back of lower styrene settlements. As for September, players anticipate a firmer outlook. Spot styrene prices jumped by around $100/ton recently, which mainly stems from the force majeure declaration of Total on styrene supplies from Gonfreville, France.
Price ranges reported include an average freight cost to the customers’ location as well as duties if applicable, although VAT is not included.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure
- Stats: China’s total PE imports down for 2nd month in November
- Egypt PET markets poised to end the year on a strong note
- China ABS prices move below SEA after 8 months