European LDPE, LLDPE hover around 4-year-lows
Some players are still on the sidelines, waiting for small discounts in deals in the second half of the month. They are mainly pointing to ample supplies and weak demand. “Although ethylene contracts settled stable, the lack of supply issues and unspectacular demand may weigh on prices,” some argued.
The pressure from import offers is also supporting buyers in their quest for discounts in their monthly deals with their European suppliers. Non-European PE offers particularly from the Middle East and US are offering a competitive edge, standing at least €50/ton below the offers for local origins in the spot market.
However, sellers mostly disregard the possibility of seeing discounts in the near term. “This expectation does not have a leg to stand on when local prices have already been standing at multi-year lows. We are at the bottom,” claimed some distributors.
Others pointed to the upcoming cracker maintenances, which have already triggered expectations of seeing a higher settlement for ethylene for next month. The upstream naphtha market has also been firm so far in February.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market extends drops on competitive US cargos, lukewarm demand
- Vietnam’s import PP raffia market hits lowest since late 2016
- Spot styrene prices in Europe find mild support from upcoming turnarounds
- Export PET prices from China signal stabilization after 6 weeks of declines
- SEA PE market remains under pressure from flood of competitive US offers
- PS markets plunge to 3-year low in China, SEA
- Yuan devaluation sends import LLDPE, HDPE back to 10-year low in China
- PET markets hit two-year low in China, SEA
- Naphtha hits lowest of 2 years in Europe, 8 months in Asia; eyes on oil
- Downturn halts in Europe’s PP, PE and PVC markets ahead of holidays