European LDPE, LLDPE hover around 4-year-lows
Some players are still on the sidelines, waiting for small discounts in deals in the second half of the month. They are mainly pointing to ample supplies and weak demand. “Although ethylene contracts settled stable, the lack of supply issues and unspectacular demand may weigh on prices,” some argued.
The pressure from import offers is also supporting buyers in their quest for discounts in their monthly deals with their European suppliers. Non-European PE offers particularly from the Middle East and US are offering a competitive edge, standing at least €50/ton below the offers for local origins in the spot market.
However, sellers mostly disregard the possibility of seeing discounts in the near term. “This expectation does not have a leg to stand on when local prices have already been standing at multi-year lows. We are at the bottom,” claimed some distributors.
Others pointed to the upcoming cracker maintenances, which have already triggered expectations of seeing a higher settlement for ethylene for next month. The upstream naphtha market has also been firm so far in February.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- October hikes prove short-lived in Europe’s PP market
- Firming PE trend stumbles, medium-term expectations stifled in Turkey
- PET prices fail to rebound from near 3-year low in Asia, Europe
- African PP, PE markets start Q4 in limbo amid varying pricing policies
- Will Taiwanese major roll over November PVC offers?
- PVC market up from 3-and-a-half year low in Europe
- PP market fails to digest full hikes as activity almost grinds to a halt in Turkey
- Middle Eastern sellers seek hikes for Oct in global PE markets
- SEA PET market starts Q4 with further losses
- China’s polymer imports renew records in Jan-Aug despite concerns over economy, trade war