European LDPE, LLDPE hover around 4-year-lows
Some players are still on the sidelines, waiting for small discounts in deals in the second half of the month. They are mainly pointing to ample supplies and weak demand. “Although ethylene contracts settled stable, the lack of supply issues and unspectacular demand may weigh on prices,” some argued.
The pressure from import offers is also supporting buyers in their quest for discounts in their monthly deals with their European suppliers. Non-European PE offers particularly from the Middle East and US are offering a competitive edge, standing at least €50/ton below the offers for local origins in the spot market.
However, sellers mostly disregard the possibility of seeing discounts in the near term. “This expectation does not have a leg to stand on when local prices have already been standing at multi-year lows. We are at the bottom,” claimed some distributors.
Others pointed to the upcoming cracker maintenances, which have already triggered expectations of seeing a higher settlement for ethylene for next month. The upstream naphtha market has also been firm so far in February.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Sentiment firms in spot styrene markets on heels of shutdowns
- March PVC outlook under discussion in Europe
- Asian ethylene sustains rally, moves back above LDPE, LLDPE in China, SEA
- Is uptrend delayed to March in European PET market?
- Spot propylene moves back down in Europe, US; what lies ahead for Asia?
- Sentiment fails to improve in Feb across Mid-Eastern and African PP, PE markets
- Sentiment cautiously improves in Turkey’s polyolefin markets
- Global oil and petchem companies announce financial results for Q4
- Growth in Turkey’s polymer imports faltered in 2018
- Egypt’s PP and PE markets scramble to find clear direction