European PE market braces for further drops in July
The monthly ethylene contracts that settled down €75/ton late Friday also confirmed these expectations.
Spot ethylene plunges by more than 8.5% since early June
According to the weekly average data on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices on an FD NWE basis plunged by around €90/ton since the downturn started as of early June.
Although players argued that the recent naphtha gains might cushion the extent of the expected decreases on ethylene contracts, spot ethylene declines were largely reflected on the monthly monomer settlement.
Spot naphtha prices and Brent crude futures have recently hit 5-week high on average, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
Concerns over supplies outstrip demand in PE market
PE demand has remained below expectations so far. Moreover, the approaching summer season is not expected to spur demand as many converters are likely to see a slowdown in their end-product business. They are also postponing their purchases to next month, when they expect fresh drops. Supplies are reported to be more than comfortable, meanwhile.
US PE emerges at competitive levels in Italy
PE offers from the US are also offering competitive edge, adding extra pressure on the local spot market, where supply is already comfortable and demand is stagnant.
In the nearby Turkey market, US PE offers also formed the low end of the overall import ranges.
Global capacity additions, economic concerns weigh on market
The upcoming capacity additions across the globe triggered oversupply concerns across the board. Many players are also pointing to the economic slowdown amid uncertainties over US-China trade war and geopolitical tensions.
To track the most updated PE production news, please see PE Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam PP market yet to respond to faltering upturn in China
- Turkey’s PE market stuck between weak fundamentals and up pressure from China
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe