European PE market braces for further drops in July
The monthly ethylene contracts that settled down €75/ton late Friday also confirmed these expectations.
Spot ethylene plunges by more than 8.5% since early June
According to the weekly average data on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices on an FD NWE basis plunged by around €90/ton since the downturn started as of early June.
Although players argued that the recent naphtha gains might cushion the extent of the expected decreases on ethylene contracts, spot ethylene declines were largely reflected on the monthly monomer settlement.
Spot naphtha prices and Brent crude futures have recently hit 5-week high on average, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
Concerns over supplies outstrip demand in PE market
PE demand has remained below expectations so far. Moreover, the approaching summer season is not expected to spur demand as many converters are likely to see a slowdown in their end-product business. They are also postponing their purchases to next month, when they expect fresh drops. Supplies are reported to be more than comfortable, meanwhile.
US PE emerges at competitive levels in Italy
PE offers from the US are also offering competitive edge, adding extra pressure on the local spot market, where supply is already comfortable and demand is stagnant.
In the nearby Turkey market, US PE offers also formed the low end of the overall import ranges.
Global capacity additions, economic concerns weigh on market
The upcoming capacity additions across the globe triggered oversupply concerns across the board. Many players are also pointing to the economic slowdown amid uncertainties over US-China trade war and geopolitical tensions.
To track the most updated PE production news, please see PE Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?