European PE sellers trim hike targets for October
A West European PE producer is seeking €15/ton increases on its LDPE, LLDPE and HDPE offers. A source from the producer admits, “We expect to conclude our deals with rollovers though.” An agent of a different producer slightly lowered its HDPE prices from September in a bid to conclude sales citing slack demand, while asking for rollovers for LDPE. “We tried to maintain our price levels on the month while buying interest is weak so far this month,” a distributor of a South European source said.
In Italy, a distributor complained about discouraging demand, saying, “We are struggling to make sales even after our slight discounts for HDPE and LLDPE compared to September. LDPE is drawing a firmer picture with respect to other products though due to tight supply.”
A packager in Italy is confident that he will pay rollovers for October LDPE cargos despite his supplier’s €15/ton hike announcement and relatively limited availability for this product. Another converter in the country said, “We have received many offers with rollovers or even small discounts from last month, particularly for HDPE film grade. We are yet to purchase any materials and we plan to meet our basic needs next week.”
In Germany, a compounder similarly noted, “We paid mainly rollovers and even some small decreases on our October PE deals in the spot market. Our end business is performing well, meanwhile.”
In France, a distributor managed to conclude some deals with rollovers for various PE grades. “We hold softer expectations for the November-December period as demand was depressed recently,” stated the seller.
Not only subdued demand but also unresponsive ethylene costs cast a shadow on the PE outlook nowadays. Comfortable ethylene supplies draw a soft outlook for the last quarter of the year, according to some players. ICE Brent crude oil futures gained almost $3/barrel since October started amidst talks of an output reduction from OPEC. Spot ethylene costs in Europe, however, represented a drop of around €10-15/ton on FD NWE basis week over week. Spot naphtha prices also recorded a slight softening in the period on CIF NWE basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally
- China’s import polyolefin markets up on soaring crude, futures
- Step-back from initial rollover attempts for ABS in Europe