European PE set to face stronger pressure than PP in October
After September PE and PP businesses were wrapped up with increases surpassing this month’s contract hikes of €30/ton for ethylene and €40/ton for propylene, demand has slowed down towards the end of the month. Both buyers and sellers are now sidelined to see the outcome of new contracts.
October ethylene and propylene contracts settled late on Wednesday with increases of €30/ton in line with the expectations, finding support from higher energy markets and ongoing cracker shutdowns. Accordingly, these increases are expected to find reflection on the downstream PP and PE markets.
However, the PE market is under a stronger pressure than the PP market due to more visible supply constraints. According to players, delivery delays that stemmed from the railway closure in South Germany have reinforced the firming trend in place. A West European producer admitted that logistics issues are mostly affecting their PE deliveries as their PP allocations are usually coming from Saudi Arabia.
Except for HDPE, LDPE and LLDPE supplies are still reported to be restricted. Some Middle Eastern suppliers have even attempted to apply additional hikes on LDPE and LLDPE during the month due to the tightness.
On the other hand, homo-PP supplies are deemed as more balanced with demand. Players think that October increases might be limited as buyers who already covered their needs might resist large increases.
A compounder from Italy claimed, “End-demand is good, but we preferred buying mostly near to prime or off spec grades. PP supplies are in balance with demand. However, we received many offers, which made us think that sellers’ stocks are high and the upward pressure is cooling off.” A different PP buyer also commented that he has the impression that producers have high stocks, adding, “We will be covered for the first 10 days of October.”
End-buyers were not seen building large raw material stocks either despite firm expectations, as they think that prices will not post major changes in October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- China’s local PVC market retreats from 8-month high
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally
- China’s import polyolefin markets up on soaring crude, futures