European PET players wait for supplies to improve amid record-high prices
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index reveal that the weekly average of PET prices on FD NWE basis have posted a cumulative gain of almost €300/ton since the start of this year. Local offers have already breached the €1350/ton FD threshold in line with suppliers’ up to three-digit hikes for June, which were accepted by regional buyers.
A distributor said, “We sold out our June allocations and buyers didn’t show any resistance to our hike requests as they really needed the material. The supply situation remains critical, although we heard that BP should lift its force majeure soon and it has already started to improve its PTA production in Belgium. This may be a positive signal for the medium term.”
According to market sources, Indian PET producer JBF Industries has started to raise its production rates at its plant in Geel, Belgium while BP has increased allocations for PTA output from its site also in Geel.
A distributor operating in Switzerland reported that his European supplier does not have any spot availability for June while its July allocation is also limited. “We don’t think that European producers will reduce their prices before September since it will take time to see an improvement in regional supplies despite the recent positive signals from BP and JBF,” he commented.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market touches new lows amid dull activity
- European PS slides to 2-month low on weaker costs, demand
- Asian PVC players are divided over firmer August pricing
- Vietnam’s homo-PP raffia market remains weak amid lackluster trade
- Asia's ethylene and styrene markets receive support from limited supplies
- Export PET prices from Asia touch new lows on increased supplies
- European LDPE under pressure from lower ethylene, weak fundamentals
- China’s import ABS market sinks to 3-month low amid uncertainty in styrene
- Stable to soft trend retained in July PP, PE offers to Mid-East, Africa
- Tightness pushes local LLDPE film prices to 5-month high in Indonesia