European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
According to ChemOrbis Price Index, spot prices in Italy reached their lowest levels not seen since late May.
Despite the recent drops, spot PET prices are still deemed high during this time of the year. Players mostly adopted a wait-and-see stance amid softening expectations and awaited PX settlements.
Some buyers, meanwhile, continued to stick to their hand-to-mouth purchases, referring to the sharp hikes they paid earlier this year.
A distributor confirmed, “Gradually fading demand from the beverage sector hints at further decreases. Demand has slowed down compared to September after a longer-than-usual high season in the region thanks to warm weather.”
However, the size of the awaited decreases is under discussion with eyes on the imminent PX settlement for October. Some sellers think that firm crude oil prices and the fact that September PX hikes of €210-220/ton were not fully reflected on price levels may keep possible decreases in check.
As for imports, Chinese and South Korean PET offers were rolled over from the pre-holiday levels. Although these offers still stand €40-50/ton below the European origins on the low end, they might lose competitiveness if softening in the local ranges gains speed.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Low overseas supplies prop up import PP prices in China
- Vietnam’s local PP, PE markets resume firming; LLDPE fails to catch up
- Are European ethylene contracts heading for 3rd straight month of hikes?
- Taiwanese major’s May PVC offers to Asia see larger-than-expected drops
- Asian ABS sellers renew confidence in shadow of volatile styrene
- Bullish run loses steam in Turkey’s PP, PE markets
- Tepid demand caps larger PP hikes in Europe, PE fares better
- Asian PET markets drift higher after explosion at Formosa’s plant
- Will turnarounds eliminate oversupply in China’s local PP market?
- European ABS faces large hikes on heels of costs