European PP market remains firm, propylene softens
In France, a distributor concluded some deals with increases of €20-30/ton from August at €1080-1100/ton for homo-PP injection and at €1150-1200/ton for PP block copolymer injection on an FD, 45 days deferred payment basis. “Demand isn’t strong, but our West European supplier is firm on their prices. The overall PP availability isn’t ample while we have sufficient stocks to meet our customers’ requirements,” he noted.
A converter bought West European material at €1000-1020/ton for homo-PP injection and at €1050-1070/ton for PP block copolymer injection FD, 60 days. The buyer commented, “Our suppliers were initially targeting hikes of €50-60/ton, but we managed to close our deals paying smaller increases of €20/ton in line with the propylene settlements. We think that producers might seek to raise their prices in October citing reduced supply. However, we haven’t observed any availability issues considering that many distributors are still holding high stocks.”
A packaging producer in Germany settled his September PP contracts with increases of €20/ton after his suppliers initially asked for slightly larger hikes of up to €30/ton. According to the buyer, demand is good while supply is limited for the moment so PP prices might gain further ground in October.
Early October expectations called for a firming trend in the PP market, but spot propylene prices on an FD NWE basis have registered a notable decrease of over €50/ton week over week due to a number of PP shutdowns in the region. However, spot naphtha prices are still standing above early September levels despite fluctuating crude prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets
- European PVC producers ungenerous in Turkey: Prices up 21% in a month