European PP market witnesses mixed dynamics prior to October
Still, Borealis’ force majeure declaration on PP from Kallo, Belgium and Ineos’ planned shutdown at Grangemouth might lend support to the PP market amidst weaker propylene.
A distributor in Belgium concluded some September PP deals up €20/ton from August. “Our supplier’s availability is tight for copolymers while their homo-PP supply is good. The market dynamics are balanced considering muted demand. For October, we are anticipating a new round of price increases,” he commented.
In Germany, a distributor sold West European PP with increases of €20-30/ton for September and commented that the outlook is mostly stable. A packaging producer settled their September PP contracts with increases of €20/ton from last month. According to the buyer, demand is good while supply is tight so PP prices might gain further ground in October.
In France, a distributor concluded some PP deals up €20/ton from August, commenting that demand isn’t brilliant and supply isn’t ample. A converter reported paying increases of €20/ton for his September PP deals after his suppliers toned down their initial hike requests. “Producers might seek to lift their PP prices in October citing reduced supply. However, we think that availability is sufficient in the distribution channel,” he noted.
In Italy, a converter reported making some purchases with increases of €20/ton from August after his suppliers stepped back from their initial prices. According to him, producers might aim for higher PP prices in October citing their supply constraints, but distributors are still holding high stocks. Another converter also made some purchases on a needs only basis this month. The buyer noted that supply is comfortable from distributors and he is projecting a mostly stable trend for October. Another buyer also paid increases of €20/ton for his September purchases and commented that the outlook is mostly stable for October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low
- Homo PP offers below $1000 pervade China’s import market
- PP, PE prices in Mid-East and Africa set to remain weak until end of Q3