European PP sellers look for smaller decreases
Initial December PP offers started to emerge with rollovers to €10-20/ton decreases as some suppliers wanted to recover their margins and tried not to give the entire propylene drop for this month. However, some deals were already concluded with decreases matching the propylene drop.
A distributor from Italy reported that they are holding fewer stocks this month depending on the short supply from their supplier who declared a force majeure and for this reason they offer with a rollover. The seller believes that prices will post increases in January.
A West European producer reported offering with €10-15/ton decreases for December as they want to recover their margins. The producer added, “We receive good orders for now.”
Another West European producer reported that they are keeping the decrease amount in check and offering with €20/ton discounts. A producer source reported, “In our opinion, most European producers will try to save their margins via giving smaller discounts on their PP prices. On the other hand, supply is considered to be good and sellers might feel some pressure this month as well.”
A distributor from Italy reported that their supplier has yet to decide on their December pricing policy. “Our supplier is planning to give only €20/ton discounts, but we will push for at least €30/ton decreases,” added the seller.
Another distributor whose offers suggest €20/ton decreases from November and stand on the high ends reported that demand looks a bit better due to the bullish talks for January.
However, a distributor based in Germany does not expect strong demand as December is a short month.
A manufacturer in France bought material with €30/ton decreases in line with the propylene drop. The buyer stated, “We ordered extra volumes, yet we did not receive any confirmation for the extra quotas as some of our suppliers claimed to have sold out already.”
A converter in Italy also purchased West European material down €30/ton and confirmed that they are negotiating with another producer to pay the same amount as well.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PP and PE markets set to rebound from two-year lows in Europe
- PET sellers hunt for signs of market bottom in Europe
- India’s import PP, PE markets rebound in Jan after several months of declines
- Tight supplies keep Asian PVC markets bullish
- Crude oil market sentiment turns in favour of bulls
- Will European PVC take a breather from 9-month downtrend in February?
- Supply limitations bolster Feb PP and PE outlook in Turkey
- China’s import PP markets climb to 6-month highs prior to Lunar New Year
- Weak activities press import PE, PP suppliers for discounts in Egypt
- Price erosion continues inside Middle Eastern polyolefins markets