European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops
Producers cut prices by €30/ton for July
European PS producers have initially announced €30/ton decreases. A source from a producer reported, “We are not open to negotiate as we aim to recover our margins. However, the state of demand during the month will be an important factor to watch.”
“Prices might not fall further in August as they currently stand at very low levels. We will lower our production rates instead of giving further discounts,” a different producer source remarked.
Spot PS hits year-to-date low
The recent drops have pushed GPPS and HIPS prices both in Italy and Northwest Europe down to their lowest levels not seen since late January this year, according to the weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Index.
Will buyers replenish stocks?
The majority of the buyers remained unresponsive to the large June drops as they were expecting additional price cuts in July. End product sales have been also performing slowly on the part of converters amid the disposable ban across the board as well as their earlier purchases.
A market participant opined, “Buyers should return to replenish their stocks as they have limited or skipped their purchases last month.”
Still, converters mull over shutting their plants amid the summer lull and they might not build stocks in the near term.
Sales pressure on the distribution channel
Traders were reported to have stock pressure due to the unsold stocks. Players think that they might be flexible with their pricing policies to deplete their stocks. Therefore, they believe further decreases might be achieved as the month wears on.
Buyers expect additional drops
According to buyers, seeing additional drops is a sure thing due to the inventory pressure. They do not expect a revival in demand as summer holidays are starting, moreover.
Buyers reported to have received PS offers with decreases of up to €50/ton.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Small rally in Vietnamese local PP, PE markets proves short-lived
- Softer expectations take hold of Europe’s PE market for November
- Asia PS, ABS markets under pressure from multi-year low styrene
- US PE exports to continue to dominate Q4 market outlook
- Taiwanese major sells out Nov PVC quota to India ahead of Diwali
- Will Asian spot ethylene markets pull back from 10-year lows?
- October hikes prove short-lived in Europe’s PP market
- Firming PE trend stumbles, medium-term expectations stifled in Turkey
- PET prices fail to rebound from near 3-year low in Asia, Europe
- African PP, PE markets start Q4 in limbo amid varying pricing policies