European PS players voice expectations for July amid softer styrene
A distributor in Germany reported that they concluded June deals with their West European supplier with increases of €50-60/ton from last month. He noted, “As for July, we believe that suppliers will approach the regional markets with rollovers or slight hikes in their initial offers. However, demand is still calm and overall supplies are comfortable. Softer styrene prices are also likely to affect the sentiment. We are now waiting for the outcome of July styrene contracts.”
Europe’s styrene market has been tracking a softening trend since around mid-June, with the weekly average of spot prices recently hitting its lowest level since early January, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard. According to traders, the recent decreases came in line with the softening trend in other global markets including Asia and the US.
A distributor in Italy sold his June allocation with €50/ton increases from May. “We concluded June deals after adjusting our initial hike request down by €10/ton. The outlook for July is still foggy. Sellers may try to achieve slight hikes on their July deals before the market slows down in August amidst summer holidays. On the other hand, buyers may show resistance to any hike requests if July styrene contracts settle lower,” he opined.
A converter operating in France commented, “We accepted to pay increases on our June GPPS deals. However, demand is yet to recover on our side. We mostly expect July offers to surface with rollovers.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem