European PS players voice expectations for July amid softer styrene
A distributor in Germany reported that they concluded June deals with their West European supplier with increases of €50-60/ton from last month. He noted, “As for July, we believe that suppliers will approach the regional markets with rollovers or slight hikes in their initial offers. However, demand is still calm and overall supplies are comfortable. Softer styrene prices are also likely to affect the sentiment. We are now waiting for the outcome of July styrene contracts.”
Europe’s styrene market has been tracking a softening trend since around mid-June, with the weekly average of spot prices recently hitting its lowest level since early January, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard. According to traders, the recent decreases came in line with the softening trend in other global markets including Asia and the US.
A distributor in Italy sold his June allocation with €50/ton increases from May. “We concluded June deals after adjusting our initial hike request down by €10/ton. The outlook for July is still foggy. Sellers may try to achieve slight hikes on their July deals before the market slows down in August amidst summer holidays. On the other hand, buyers may show resistance to any hike requests if July styrene contracts settle lower,” he opined.
A converter operating in France commented, “We accepted to pay increases on our June GPPS deals. However, demand is yet to recover on our side. We mostly expect July offers to surface with rollovers.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- A look back at Asian PVC markets in 2018: Taiwanese major continues to take the lead
- A look back at European PP, PE markets in 2018: LDPE, LLDPE near 4-year-lows; HDPE, PP stand relatively firm
- A look back at Asian PE markets in 2018: Trade wars, currency crisis push prices to near 10-year-low
- PP deals closed lower, Jan expectations surface in Europe
- Bearish trend pervades Mid-East and African PE markets in 2018
- Acetylene and ethylene-based PVC move in opposite directions in China
- Spot propylene in Asia reverses 6-week slide, US and Europe fail to follow
- SEA’s PE market indifferent to China’s recovery, PP sees hike attempts
- Saudi major applies decreases in global PE markets for December
- Europe’s PET market extends falls despite Indorama’s force majeure