European PS sellers aim for three-digit hikes amidst higher styrene settlement
A source from Styrolution reported that the producer officially increased its PS offers by €125/ton for January, aiming for hikes larger than the contract gains in line with the stronger production costs.
A plastic end manufacturer operating in Italy reported their buy ideas with an increase of €105/ton from December, adding that they are still waiting to see suppliers’ official price announcements.
“The market is quiet this week in Italy given the holiday lull, hence we will begin discussing our new prices with our customers as of next week,” said a source from a West European producer who is yet to officially announce their new offers.
An agent offering on behalf of the same West European producer reported that their supplier is seeking €110/ton increase for PS in January in the contract market while the seller raised its offer by €90/ton in the spot market. “Some buyers already built stocks in December as they had expected increases for January. Market activities are slow now due to the holidays while more customers will be back to the market from next week after holidays,” commented the distributor.
On the buyers’ side, a converter opined that they do not want to pay increase amounts higher than the monomer contract. “In December, we purchased off grade material as prime quality prices were already too high,” said the converter.
Meanwhile, a trader also pointed out that there will be many styrene shutdowns in overseas markets in the first quarter of this year, which will impact the market trend in the upcoming period.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
- PE sustains soft path in October across Africa, Mid-East
- Will propylene hike be reflected on European PP?
- US PE sellers continue to target SE Asia as trade war with China escalates
- Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally