European PS slides to 2-month low on weaker costs, demand
Europe’s styrene market has been tracking a mostly softening trend since mid-June, with the weekly average of spot prices recently reaching its lowest levels since the start of 2018, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
This along with the sales pressure on sellers ahead of summer holidays has caused decreases of up to €70/ton in PS prices this week. A player said that PS prices in Europe have been back to May levels, erasing June gains.
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, the weekly average of spot GPPS prices on FD NWE basis has recently hit a two-month low while HIPS has retreated to its lowest levels not seen since around the end of May.
A sheet extruder in Italy reported that he was offered South European PS with €50/ton decreases from June. He said, “We skipped fresh purchases as we wait to see further reductions toward the end of the month.”
Several players concur on the fact that buyers are not willing to replenish stocks ahead of the upcoming summer holidays. Some of them noted, “As for August, we expect further decreases of €20-40/ton on unsupportive demand, although it will depend on the next monomer settlement.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?