European PS slides to 2-month low on weaker costs, demand
Europe’s styrene market has been tracking a mostly softening trend since mid-June, with the weekly average of spot prices recently reaching its lowest levels since the start of 2018, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
This along with the sales pressure on sellers ahead of summer holidays has caused decreases of up to €70/ton in PS prices this week. A player said that PS prices in Europe have been back to May levels, erasing June gains.
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, the weekly average of spot GPPS prices on FD NWE basis has recently hit a two-month low while HIPS has retreated to its lowest levels not seen since around the end of May.
A sheet extruder in Italy reported that he was offered South European PS with €50/ton decreases from June. He said, “We skipped fresh purchases as we wait to see further reductions toward the end of the month.”
Several players concur on the fact that buyers are not willing to replenish stocks ahead of the upcoming summer holidays. Some of them noted, “As for August, we expect further decreases of €20-40/ton on unsupportive demand, although it will depend on the next monomer settlement.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- China’s PP market set to receive massive capacity additions in 2019
- PS recovery continues in Asia amid slowly rising styrene prices
- Restriction on shopping bags exerts pressure on PE demand in Turkey
- LLDPE moves below €1000/ton in Europe, eyes on awaited US PE cargoes
- Import PVC soars to 4-month high in China, India
- European PET erases hefty gains of 2018, notching 4th month of weakness
- SE Asia PP market likely to remain under pressure amid upcoming capacities
- Saudi major issues drops for January in global PE markets
- PS producers’ January offers defy lower styrene in Europe
- Asian PVC market holds firm prior to Feb announcement