European PVC market indifferent to global firming trend
A West European producer is giving March PVC offers mainly with rollovers both in the contract and spot markets while conceding to slight discounts of €10/ton in a few cases. A source from the producer reported, “We are mostly seeking to maintain our prices to recover our margins. Buyers are likely to make more purchases this month ahead of possible increases in April. In addition, the PVC market will also receive support from the high season.”
A distributor in Germany is giving stable March offers for West and Central European PVC, stating that he isn’t planning to concede to any discounts citing his limited stocks. In addition, the seller commented that expectations are calling for an upturn for April. “We think that PVC prices have reached the bottom in Europe as prices are rising in Asia, India and Turkey. Offers for US cargoes gained ground. Shin-Etsu will conduct a planned maintenance shutdown in the Netherlands which might affect supply levels in April,” he added. Vinnolit is also expected to shut their PVC plant at Knapsack, Germany for turnaround in April.
In Italy, a distributor concluded some March PVC deals with slight decreases of €5-10/ton from last month, commenting, “We procured less volumes from a Central European producer this month. For April, expectations are firm. Imports are losing their competitiveness due to the global firming trend so more buyers are likely to return to the local market in the days ahead.” Many buyers have already made some purchases with discounts between €5-15/ton from the spot market for March. One of the buyers stated that he is mulling over buying extra volumes in the upcoming days ahead of possible increases in April. He thinks that PVC prices won’t move below the current levels.
A converter in France settled his March PVC contracts with decreases of €10/ton from last month. The buyer also received some import Mexican offers, but didn’t consider them to be competitive as they are standing close to the local market levels.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic