Plasticizers - Europe H2 November 2017
The price ranges for the second half stand at €1230-1410/ton for DINP and DIDP and at €1200-1340/ton for DOTP, FD, 60 days.
A distributor of a West European producer, who sold his volumes with rollovers to decreases for November, thinks that demand will slow down further in December while the outlook is still unclear. An agent selling Central European material said, “We expect small decreases of €20/ton in DINP and DINP prices especially on the high ends while DOTP prices are likely to remain stable.” Another trader has already started to sell his December quotas for Turkish and South Korean DOTP at rollovers as he projects a stable trend amid firmer energy prices and softer spot propylene costs.
Converters, meanwhile, have wrapped up their November business with rollovers for DOTP and decreases of €20-30/ton for DINP and DIDP prices. They are currently waiting for the new propylene contract for December amidst weak year-end demand and short working days. A buyer, who purchased his November material from the import market at competitive levels, said, “We think that December prices will remain stable as there is no reason for increases. Moreover, import materials are still being offered at competitive levels thanks to the favorable parity.” Another buyer also purchased his November volumes from overseas suppliers, assuming that DOTP prices will be rolled over in December as he believes that they hit the bottom.
In the import market, Turkish DOTP has been reported within the range of €1180-1220/ton DDP, 60 days, which is still considered to be competitive compare to the local ranges.
Locally held South Korean DOTP was traded at €1220-1300/ton FD, 60 days while DINP and DIDP were dealt at €1230-1300/ton with the same terms.
As for December, players agree that DOTP prices might follow a stable path while DINP and DIDP prices have room for further decreases, for European material in particular, which carries a premium over the import market. In addition, an expected slowdown in demand due to the limited working days in December might also play a role in setting the tone of the market.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic