Plasticizers - Europe July 2017
The price ranges stand at €1400-1550/ton for DINP and DIDP and at €1420-1500/ton for DOTP, FD, 60 days.
Prices have found some relief in the first part of the month given Evonik’s return to its regular production and competitive import materials from Asia. A South European producer sold DINP and DIDP with rollovers. a source from the producer stated, “We have already sold out as demand was very strong this month. Buyers can meet their needs from the import market as supply is still limited on our side.” Another supplier of Central European material sold his cargoes at stable levels over June and said that supply should improve during the month.
On the buyers’ side, converters have already secured their monthly needs, paying rollovers to small decreases of €20/ton for DINP and DIDP while DOTP prices registered larger decreases of up to €55/ton from last month. A compounder said, “We purchased our material with some discounts from last month even if some suppliers were offering at rollovers at the beginning of the month. Plus, we noted an improvement in supply for July.” Another buyer, who purchased his material at a rollover for July, thinks that prices have reached very high levels looking at the feedstock markets. Therefore, he expects a stable trend until September, when BASF will come back to the market.
Locally-held Korean DINP was traded at €1400/ton, down €20/ton from last month. Locally-held Korean DOTP was reported within the range of €1400-1500/ton.Locally-held US DOTP was at €1470/ton. In the import market, Korean DOTP was dealt at a competitive level of €1250-1260/ton DDP, 60 days, with delivery at the end of August. This offer suggests €50-60/ton decreases from June.
Plasticizers prices are likely to hover around the current levels for the rest of the month. Some argue that the market is still under pressure given short supply, however, prices have seen some relief after Evonik restarted and competitive import materials found their way to Europe. Early expectations for next month started to emerge stable as the market is likely to slow down amidst a muted demand due to the summer lull. In addition, a South European producer will start a planned maintenance at its plant by mid-August.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand
- Taiwanese major hikes Aug PVC offers to Asia as limited availability outweighs monsoon effect