Plasticizers - Europe July 2017
The price ranges for the second half of July stand at €1300-1490/ton for DINP and DIDP and at €1300-1450/ton for DOTP, FD, 60 days.
As for the second part of the month, more import cargoes from Asia and Turkey have found their way to Europe at competitive prices, which put further pressure on the local market. A trader offering locally-held Asian and Turkish DOTP sold his material at €1380-1400/ton over June and said that the market will remain weak also for next month. Another trader of Asian DOTP, who sold his cargoes at €1360/ton, expects another round of decreases for next month as supply seems to be stabilized.
With more competitive offers in the import market, converters preferred purchasing Asian and Turkish materials. One compounder purchased a few cargoes of DOTP from Korea at the low end of the local range, stating that prices are likely to see further decreases in the coming days. Another buyer, who purchased some European DINP at €1400-1470/ton with a decrease of €20-30/ton from June, thinks that August will see additional drops as well.
In the import market, South Korean DINP was reported within the range of €1320-1370/ton on DDP basis, 60 days. South Korean DOTP stood at €1270-1280/ton while Turkish DOTP was traded at €1300/ton with the same terms.
Initial offers for August started to emerge this week. A distributor of a West European producer revealed his new offers with rollovers to €10-20/ton decreases for DINP and DIDP while lowering his DOTP prices by €30-40/ton. The source from the producer said, “After applying rollovers for July, our supplier lowered his new levels for August in order to compete with the other origins in the import market. We expect a slowdown in demand for August and another round of decreases for September.”
A different distributor of a Central European producer also lowered his August prices by €10/ton for DINP and DIDP.
August prices are expected to post another round of decreases as the majority of players will be absent from the market owing to the long holiday period. Regarding September, players started to voice their expectations calling for a softer outlook, meanwhile. This is because prices are considered to have reached very high levels. Improved supply levels together with competitive import material might exacerbate the downward pressure on the European plasticizers market in the medium term.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures