European players: ABS supply tightens on uncompetitive imports
A manufacturer from Austria reported closing January deals up €100/ton for West European material. The buyer commented, “There are no delivery issues for the time being. However, European ABS sellers might face some delivery delays in the near term as they are receiving orders more than usual this month on the back of reduced import volumes from Asia. We heard increase expectations calling for €40-70/ton on styrene contracts for February.”
A distributor from Italy stated, “A West European supplier has already closed January order books on better demand for their material. Buyers are turning back to the local market to meet their needs as Asian prices are no longer offering a competitive edge.”
Some Asian producers limited their allocations to Europe as China is offering better netbacks. Another seller from Italy stated, “A South Korean supplier applied €200/ton hikes in January and delayed shipments from their plants to late February, which are expected to arrive in May, claiming that their supplies are rather tight.”
Local ABS prices stand at €1750-1900/ton for extrusion and injection grades on FD Italy, 60 days basis while ABS injection and extrusion prices are quoted at €1790-1920/ton on FD NWE, 60 days.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September