European players question if bottom is near for LDPE, LLDPE
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index reveal that the weekly averages of local LDPE and LLDPE film prices in Italy and Northwest Europe have recently hit their lowest levels since February/March 2015.
On the sellers’ side, sentiment for next month has already turned firmer as more players started to talk about the nearing bottom, pointing to the recent rebound of the energy complex and multi-year low prices for LDPE and LLDPE.
“Steep decreases could mean that prices are bottoming out while we expect the market to remain mostly unchanged in the rest of the month. As for May, meanwhile, prices might rebound in response to rising naphtha and crude oil prices. We expect to see increases of €10-15/ton in May ethylene contracts,” distributors opined.
A reseller from the Netherlands affirmed, “Higher energy costs have revitalized buying interest to some extent while some buyers continue to stick to their immediate needs despite firmer expectations for May.”
Moreover, a few resellers claimed that supply pressure will not be as fierce as before as some of them are re-exporting their volumes to Asia.
Buyers, meanwhile, are pointing to the ampler import quotas as a result of the favorable euro-dollar parity. “There has been a slight improvement in end demand in the last couple of days. We expect stable prices until the end of the month. However, we have no plans to restock as prices are not likely to post any large increases over the short term,” said a buyer from Italy.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- China’s local PVC market retreats from 8-month high
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally
- China’s import polyolefin markets up on soaring crude, futures