European players voice bullish expectations for Dec styrene contracts
Last week, a sheet extruder in Austria said, “We initially had steady expectations for December; however, the upward pressure from the styrene market changed our expectations. We also heard that styrene contracts are expected to post an increase of around €80/ton in December.”
A trader based in Germany reported that demand is not that good; however styrene costs have posted notable increases in the last two weeks and they expected this to be reflected on the new monomer contract for December. “The December styrene contract may be agreed with an increase of €50-80/ton if spot styrene prices remain at the current levels,” added the trader.
“For December, we heard talks of €100/ton increases on styrene contracts due to the rising styrene spot prices,” said another trader who reported concluding some deals for November with an increase of €20/ton from October.
In Italy, a plastic end manufacturer commented that that they managed to conclude their November PS purchases with an €20/ton increase instead of the seller’s initial hike attempt of €40/ton. The converter also reported hearing talks of €80/ton increases for the awaited December settlements for styrene.
However, another manufacturer in Italy said, “Monomer costs are increasing, paving the way for additional hike requests on PS for December. However, demand will slow down in December due to upcoming holidays and it may keep hike amounts in check.”
Another manufacturer concluding some deals for PS for November with increases of €30/ton from October commented that inquiries from buyers are limited, while supply from the import market is good and competitive. Regarding December, he expects some increases due to higher spot styrene prices, but he added that December will see limited activity as it will be a short month in terms of working days.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Indonesia’s polyolefin markets sustain uptrend
- Asian PVC markets shaken by sharp fall in Taiwanese major’s Apr pricing
- March PE prices take split paths in Africa, Mid-East
- Asian PS markets touch 4-month high amid volatile styrene
- Turkey’s PP market attracts deep-sea origins at 4-month high
- European ABS rebounds from 3-year low
- Firming persists in Vietnam’s PE market, shrugging off ethylene
- European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
- PP market up from a year-low in Europe; yet hikes beyond C3 see resistance
- Asian ethylene slumps on supply glut