European players voice bullish expectations for Dec styrene contracts
Last week, a sheet extruder in Austria said, “We initially had steady expectations for December; however, the upward pressure from the styrene market changed our expectations. We also heard that styrene contracts are expected to post an increase of around €80/ton in December.”
A trader based in Germany reported that demand is not that good; however styrene costs have posted notable increases in the last two weeks and they expected this to be reflected on the new monomer contract for December. “The December styrene contract may be agreed with an increase of €50-80/ton if spot styrene prices remain at the current levels,” added the trader.
“For December, we heard talks of €100/ton increases on styrene contracts due to the rising styrene spot prices,” said another trader who reported concluding some deals for November with an increase of €20/ton from October.
In Italy, a plastic end manufacturer commented that that they managed to conclude their November PS purchases with an €20/ton increase instead of the seller’s initial hike attempt of €40/ton. The converter also reported hearing talks of €80/ton increases for the awaited December settlements for styrene.
However, another manufacturer in Italy said, “Monomer costs are increasing, paving the way for additional hike requests on PS for December. However, demand will slow down in December due to upcoming holidays and it may keep hike amounts in check.”
Another manufacturer concluding some deals for PS for November with increases of €30/ton from October commented that inquiries from buyers are limited, while supply from the import market is good and competitive. Regarding December, he expects some increases due to higher spot styrene prices, but he added that December will see limited activity as it will be a short month in terms of working days.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally
- China’s import polyolefin markets up on soaring crude, futures
- Step-back from initial rollover attempts for ABS in Europe