European polyolefin players gearing up for awaited January hikes
A distributor from the Netherlands reported limited availability from their supplier for this month and said that another West European producer rejected to give them any availability due to a previous maintenance shutdown. The distributor stated, “Many producers are tight on PP for the time being and they expect propylene to shorten in the next weeks. Therefore, we expect increases both on the propylene contracts and PP prices in January.” The seller added, “We have low stock levels for PE and some of our customer are still ordering material with December delivery despite approaching holidays. We can say that the market witnesses some pre-buying activity as buyers expect increases in January. We also expect some increases on both ethylene and PE prices, yet there are no concrete indications regarding the extent of these increases.”
Similarly, a distributor from Italy affirmed that they received extra orders from buyers who are concerned about increase talks for January. “We accepted orders for January delivery at unchanged prices. For January, we expect PE prices to be mostly rolled over and start to increase as of February-March,” he noted.
A manufacturer who heard firmer expectations for January reported, “We are not sure whether the market will absorb PP increases.”
A reseller from the Netherlands commented, “Ethylene and propylene prices are expected to increase in January, still demand-supply dynamics will play a crucial role in setting the tone of the market.”
In Italy, a distributor reported, “We expect a stable to firmer trend in January, particularly on the back of higher crude oil prices and producers’ intention to boost their margins.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion