European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
In Europe, spot styrene prices’ upturn has recently found extra support from an unexpected outage at Dow’s facility in Bohlen, Germany. Market sources reported that the reduced benzene availability at the plant also affected a regional styrene plant.
European spot styrene nears 5-month high
The latest increase helped spot prices move up to their highest levels in almost five months. According to the ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of spot prices on an FD NWE basis have jumped by more than 10% from the two-year low seen in December last year.
Meanwhile, the monthly styrene contract in Europe settled in line with expectations, which were for a substantial increase amid bullish spot prices. The March contract price for styrene now stands €60/ton above the February settlement.
Asian styrene faces opposite pressures
Styrene prices in Asia have been volatile since February, facing opposite pressures. The market is trying to retain its strength despite stumbling.
On the supply side, a slew of scheduled plant turnarounds across Asia have raised concerns among market players on potential constraints. According to Chemorbis PS Production News, approximately 2.62 million tons/year of styrene is expected to be taken offline in Asia this month, likely putting a solid floor below prices.
Firming supported by shutdowns and improved sentiment
The market sentiment also improved on several fiscal stimulus measures announced by the Chinese government. The firm sentiment was also attributed to a decline in styrene inventory in China last week.
How about ethylene’s consecutive falls?
However, the slumping ethylene prices in the region remains a pressure point over styrene, putting a cap on the firming and causing daily fluctuations.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem