Eurozone economy posts stable growth in Q4
Within the region, the German economy grew 0.3% in the fourth quarter in line with expectations, according to data from Germany’s Federal Statistics Office. Data also showed that the German economy expanded a seasonally adjusted 1.7% in the whole of 2015.
France’s economic growth slowed to 0.2% in the final quarter of 2015 compared with a growth rate of 0.3% in the third quarter while Italy’s gross domestic product expanded 0.1% on the quarter, falling below expectations which called for a growth rate of 0.3% for the quarter.
In a separate statement, Eurostat revealed that industrial production in the eurozone declined 1% in December compared with November. The decrease was driven by a 2.4% decline in energy production and a 1.9% drop both in production of intermediate goods and non-durable consumer goods.
Production of durable consumer goods, meanwhile, rose 1.4% on the month in December. On a yearly basis, the region’s industrial production declined 1.3% compared with the same month of 2014.
Across the region, the largest decreases in industrial production on a monthly basis were reported in Ireland (-4.3%), Lithuania and Sweden (both -3.3%) while the largest increases were seen in Denmark (+2.9%), the Netherlands (+1.5%) and Greece (+1.4%).
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Has the bear market for Asian PVC almost run its course?
- Demand outlook for crude oil dims amid China worries
- Asian styrene prices rebound from almost two-year lows
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years
- SEA cracker outages and lack of deep-sea cargoes underpin olefin prices in Asia
- US origin hammers import PVC prices into Asia