Fed lifts interest rates, signals tentative hikes ahead
The post-meeting statement said that the Committee decided to raise the target range for the federal funds rate to 2-2.25% to 2‑2.5%.
The Committee also stated that some further gradual increases in the benchmark rate would be consistent with the country’s economic activity and labor market conditions, as well as the central bank’s 2% inflation objective over the medium term.
Federal Reserve Board and Federal Open Market Committee also released their economic projections, with only modest revisions. The projection of growth for this year was revised slightly down to 3% from 3.1%, and to 2.3% from 2.5% for next year. The central bank’s projection of the US economy’s long-run growth rate was revised up to 1.9% from 1.8%, meanwhile.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PP, PE buyers sideline ahead of further drops in June
- China’s April PE imports fall to around 1 million tons, lowest since 2018
- Vietnam’s polymer markets buckle under an influx of Chinese cargoes
- Divergence grows between Egypt’s import and local PP, PE markets
- PP markets in China, Vietnam hit 3-year lows, readying to test new lows
- African PE, PP markets extend slide into May
- Asian PS, ABS markets at 2½-3-year lows amid Chinese oversupply
- India’s Q1 PVC imports hit record-high; did buyers rush to stock up before expected restrictions?
- LDPE prices move below LLDPE, HDPE on global lethargy
- Slide deepens in Middle Eastern PP, PE markets through May