Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index suggest that the weekly average of homo-PP raffia and injection prices on ex-warehouse China basis has tracked a stable to slightly softer trend so far this week after three consecutive weeks of gains.
PP futures turn softer late last week
September PP futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange witnessed a modest decrease of CNY57/ton ($8/ton) from a week earlier on July 17.
The futures market turned softer towards the end of last week, pushing PP buyers to the sidelines in anticipation of seeing some downward corrections on the high ends of the price ranges in the spot market.
Local supplies increase amid limited activity
A few traders operating in China reported that two major domestic producers’ overall polyolefin supplies have slightly increased when compared to last week to be currently standing at around 820,000 tons.
“Trading activities are limited since demand from end-product manufacturers remains disappointing. Import PP prices, meanwhile, have been unchanged so far,” a seller in Ningbo noted.
Fluctuation of crude oil also weighs on sentiment
WTI (NYMEX) crude oil futures have been chasing a volatile trend for the past three weeks, blurring the outlook for PP players and weighing on market sentiment.
August WTI crude oil plunged $1.96/barrel to settle at $57.62/barrel on Tuesday, July 16.
Upcoming capacities shape medium-term PP outlook
Apart from the bearish factors mentioned above, the upcoming capacities in China’s PP market are already playing a crucial role in shaping the outlook for the medium term. If H2 start-ups can be completed as expected, an additional capacity of around 5 million tons/year will be added to the country’s total PP capacity.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Polymer demand takes a heavy knock from deepening COVID crisis in India
- Stats: Turkey’s polymer imports rise to fresh records in Q1
- HDPE set to reach a plateau in Europe, LDPE fares better
- Bearish PP trend takes no respite on lackluster demand in Turkey
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months
- Turkish PP and PE players voice bearish expectations for May
- China’s local homo-PP prices slide below imports