Future of US PVC still under discussion in Turkey
Earlier on, the Ministry issued an amendment by late May to reveal that goods classified in certain chapters of Turkey’s customs tariff schedule, including PVC (polyvinyl chloride) would no longer be imported from the US under inward processing regime.
These goods could only be imported from Europe, Africa, Asia, Middle and South America, Oceania, Canada, and Mexico as was previously mentioned in detail in ChemOrbis Plastics News Update: Turkey to restrict US imports under inward processing regime.
Turkish players continue to evaluate the revision in inward processing regime and the additional duties on US PVC which aimed at restraining imports from the country. Expectations are calling for different scenarios.
“American PVC seems no longer affordable for converters even if re-export license remains in place unless a buyer has strong finance sources. Consumers will have to shift their attention to alternative sources or the domestic producer,” a trader commented.
A profile maker reported that there have been no supply issues despite diminishing US cargos in the market. “Offers for other origins including Brazilian, Saudi Arabian, Russian and Ukrainian have counterbalanced the lack of new shipments from the US to some extent. Yet, we are still waiting to receive a clearer view regarding the process about American PVC,” he marked.
Some players, however, find the current prices of other dutiable PVC cargos expensive. The revision in inward processing regime is yet to become official and the course might reverse due to complaints from manufacturers, they argue.
In 2017, US had a remarkable market share of around 14% in Turkey’s import PVC market. Last year, Turkey imported more than 103,000 tons of US PVC, leading the origin to become the second largest supplier following France.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will it be supply or demand to set PP, PE outlook in Europe?
- Premium of HDPE over LLDPE hits 16-month high in Turkey
- Post-holiday hikes carry China homo-PP market to 1-year high
- Asia PVC markets see longest rising streak ever on extreme tightness
- Africa polymers: October offers higher amid reduced availability
- Stable to softer PE trend prevails in Europe amid soft demand, poor netbacks
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets move up, but riddled with uncertainties
- India, SEA PVC markets unlikely to take respite from bullish run for November
- Southeast Asia PET markets move sideways during China’s absence
- Egypt’s import PE market up on tight supply, domestic offers follow suit