Gap between import HIPS and ABS prices widens in China
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, import ABS prices on a weekly average basis are currently carrying a premium of around $361/ton against import HIPS prices, the largest gap since March 2012.
A trader operating in Hong Kong stated, “ABS prices have been witnessing larger gains in the past months due to surging spot butadiene costs. Following OPEC’s decision to cut production, crude oil prices jumped over the $50/barrel level. This is putting extra pressure on both butadiene and styrene prices as well as the ABS and HIPS markets.”
In China, the overall range for import ABS prices is currently standing at $1700-1742/ton on a CIF, cash basis while import HIPS prices stand at $1349-1364/ton with the same terms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey PP, PE markets propelled higher by shipping bottlenecks in Sept
- Are record-high PVC prices the new normal amid enduring pandemic?
- European PVC up for 16th month in Sept, prices touch new highs
- Egypt’s PP, PE markets rise on tightness in September
- Logistics snarls propel import PP, PE offers higher in Europe
- Import PVC prices near all-time highs in India, disparity with China/SEA grows
- PP, PE supplies rise in China; demand lags behind expectations despite peak season
- Stats: China’s July PE imports increase after 3 months of declines
- Will Asia’s PS markets follow ABS higher on cost support?
- Sept PET expectations diverge in shade of opposite factors in Europe