Germany’s GDP contracts by 5% in 2020
Even though the contraction was less than expected thanks to government’s stimulus measures, it still pointed to the second-sharpest contraction on record. The German economy had suffered a 5.7% decrease in its GDP back in 2009.
The pandemic hit almost every sector in Germany, even the manufacturing sector, where economic activity declined by 10.6% on a yearly basis. This was mainly due to the disruptions in global supply chains caused by the coronavirus pandemic, Destatis explained.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PP, PE buyers sideline ahead of further drops in June
- China’s April PE imports fall to around 1 million tons, lowest since 2018
- Vietnam’s polymer markets buckle under an influx of Chinese cargoes
- Divergence grows between Egypt’s import and local PP, PE markets
- PP markets in China, Vietnam hit 3-year lows, readying to test new lows
- African PE, PP markets extend slide into May
- Asian PS, ABS markets at 2½-3-year lows amid Chinese oversupply
- India’s Q1 PVC imports hit record-high; did buyers rush to stock up before expected restrictions?
- LDPE prices move below LLDPE, HDPE on global lethargy
- Slide deepens in Middle Eastern PP, PE markets through May