Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally
In the US, spot ethylene prices recorded a new round of decreases last week to hit a fresh record low since supplies remained abundant amid high run rates at regional crackers as well as a series of new capacity additions. The US is readying to welcome more than 4 million tons/year of new ethylene capacity in the second half of this year.
Data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard reveal that spot ethylene prices on FD USG basis have posted a cumulative decrease of around $350/ton since the downturn kicked off in mid-January. On the other hand, crude oil futures have recently hit their highest levels since November 2014 given the US administration’s withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.
WTI crude oil futures climbed almost $6 on a monthly comparison to $71.36/barrel on May 10 while ICE Brent crude increased around $6.5 over the same period to close at $77.47/barrel on May 10. In the meantime, spot naphtha prices in Asia and Europe have followed suit, recording cumulative gains of $65-70/ton since early April to recently hit their highest levels since November 2014.
The spot ethylene markets in Asia and Europe have also defied bullish energy costs and tracked a mostly softening trend for the past three to four weeks in the face of ample supplies as well as the slump in the US. Data indicate that spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis have cumulatively dropped by around $105-110/ton since mid-April while the European spot market has lost €75-80/ton when compared to the second week of April.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- June expectations surface in Mid-Eastern, African polyolefin markets
- China’s local PVC market retreats from 8-month high
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- China’s import polyolefin markets up on soaring crude, futures