Growing length in C2, C3 markets looms over Dec contracts
As for completed restarts within the region, Italy’s Versalis has reportedly restarted its Dunkirk cracker in France following a delay in the second part of November. Poland’s PKN Orlen had restarted its steam cracker in Plock after a planned maintenance. PKN Orlen also restarted its 544,000 mt/year Litvinov cracker in the Czech Republic at the end of October. BASF resumed production at its two crackers in Ludwigshafen following an explosion on October 17. Hungary’s MOL restarted its Tiszaujvaros steam cracker with 250,000 tons/year of ethylene capacity after around three months of maintenance.
Meanwhile, Ineos’s ethane cracker in Rafnes is expected to come back online at the end of November. The cracker was shut following a fire at the compressor. LyondellBasell’s Wesseling cracker’s return is also expected to put extra downward pressure on the market.
Market players started to pronounce their expectations regarding new monomer contracts based on bearish market fundamentals.
A distributor in Italy reported that he expects a €30-40/ton decrease on December propylene contracts. Another distributor in Germany, meanwhile, expects smaller decreases of around €20-30/ton on the propylene contracts.
A distributor in Switzerland claimed that buyers refrain from purchasing despite their competitive prices as they anticipate lower prices in December.
A seller in Germany reported that they are expecting €30/ton decreases on December ethylene contracts on the back of weak energy markets and an expected slowdown in demand from the downstream markets.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PET sellers hunt for signs of market bottom in Europe
- India’s import PP, PE markets rebound in Jan after several months of declines
- Tight supplies keep Asian PVC markets bullish
- Crude oil market sentiment turns in favour of bulls
- Will European PVC take a breather from 9-month downtrend in February?
- Supply limitations bolster Feb PP and PE outlook in Turkey
- China’s import PP markets climb to 6-month highs prior to Lunar New Year
- Weak activities press import PE, PP suppliers for discounts in Egypt
- Price erosion continues inside Middle Eastern polyolefins markets
- European PP, PE markets open 2023 with renewed drops