Gulf States forced to rethink reforms due to lower crude prices
In the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait, subsidies were reduced and fuel prices were raised. Saudi Arabia has withdrawn dozens of billions of dollars from its gold reserves and it is selling government bonds to cover its budget deficit.
According to these sources, the drop in oil prices hit Saudi Arabia the hardest. Saudi Arabia has a larger population than other gulf countries while they are at war with Yemen. These factors caused the burden to be heavier on Saudi Arabia. According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Saudi Arabia’s gold reserves are likely to last for another five years if the oil price remains at $50 per barrel.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market stuck between weak fundamentals and up pressure from China
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops