Higher ethylene scraps softer expectations in European PVC market
West European producers aim to achieve the half cost of ethylene contracts whereas buyers take a waiting stance, assuming that suppliers will have to step back from initial hike requests amid destocking concerns. Moreover, some of the European sellers have already rolled over their prices or applied smaller hikes compared to November considering that they will be able to close deals only in the first half of December.
A West European supplier offering with €15/ton increases said, “We aim to recover our margins and we are not willing to step back for now despite buyers’ resistance. Yet, we will see the reaction of the market.”
A PVC compounder in Italy said, “We have purchased some material with rollovers in December. European suppliers, who are asking for hikes, will concede to some discounts later in the month and close deals with rollovers to slight increases of €5/ton as demand is thin and there are year-end destocking activities in place.”
Converters are almost sure that they will be successful in obtaining rollovers this month considering the nature of December; however, they expect some hike attempts in January due to the producers’ will to recoup their margins.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s 2023 PE imports snap two-year downfall despite rapidly growing domestic capacities
- PE rally loses momentum on subsiding demand in Türkiye
- PVC prices flat for 2nd straight month in Italy and West Europe
- Freight rates snap rally, Red Sea crisis keeps decreases in check
- Worsening dollar shortage pushes Egypt’s local PP, PE prices to never-before-seen highs
- Stats: US PE exports hit a renewed record in 2023, sales to China boom
- Türkiye’s PP market continues to grapple with tight supply, prices at multi-month highs
- Margin expansion targets push Italy’s PE film markets to multi-month highs
- LDPE prices rise faster than other PP, PE products in India’s bullish market
- Headwinds await China’s PP, PE markets post-holiday period