How does China's ban on scrap plastics imports reflect on Asian polymers?
Apart from its effect on the global recycling industry, the newly imposed ban has already found an immediate reflection on Asia’s polymer markets. The impact started to be felt in China’s local PE and PP markets this week, since it was already cited as a contributor of the recent gains recorded.
A PP trader commented, “Local prices are firmer this week and we think the uptrend will continue in the near term due to low supplies and the ban on scrap plastic imports, which boosts demand for virgin grades.”
Another trader noted, “PP and LLDPE futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange gained strength this week with support from the ban on plastic waste imports and limited supplies from the US. Firmer futures and reportedly lower inventories of two major producers are supporting the local market.”
Southeast Asian players were also mostly pleased with the ban decision in neighboring China as they have been receiving an increasing number of offers for recyclable plastics in line with plastics exporters’ search of new destinations.
A regional ABS producer opined, “We think China’s plastic waste ban is good news for ABS producers as China’s absence will bring around a 10% of sales growth.” An Indonesian PS trader said, “China will no longer import scrap plastics and we think this will push buyers to use virgin materials.”
A Vietnamese PET trader commented, “We don’t think PET prices will see any decreases in the near terms as demand will improve, particularly after China’s ban on scrap plastics import.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy