Import GPPS and HIPS prices trading at par in Asia
The Chinese PS market remained on a firm trend over the past week. According to weekly average prices on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, import GPPS prices are currently standing almost at the same level as HIPS as the upward momentum of GPPS prices is more notable with respect to HIPS due to better demand for the product.
A Taiwanese producer lifted their GPPS prices by $30/ton while issuing slight decreases for HIPS, bringing their offers for both products to a single level on a CIF basis. A producer source commented, “We heard competitive ABS offers in the market so we were reluctant to raise our HIPS prices. For GPPS, however, we elected to issue some increases considering stronger upstream costs and healthy demand.”
In Southeast Asia, the premium of HIPS over GPPS prices shrank to the lowest level since the launch of ChemOrbis Price Index for SEA HIPS in 2013. Currently, HIPS prices on a CFR Southeast Asia basis are trading with a premium of merely $15/ton over GPPS, down from the $40-50/ton premiums registered in the last few weeks prior to the Chinese New Year holidays.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures