Import HDPE prices gain premium over LLDPE in China
Following the one-week holiday that ended on October 9, HDPE prices headed north on the back of seasonal demand and limited import supplies in China. On the other hand, import LLDPE film prices remained weak in the midst of more-than-sufficient supplies, the recent downturn of spot ethylene as well as the post-holiday volatility in the futures market.
As a result of the divergent trends, import HDPE film prices moved above LLDPE film prices last week, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Index. As can be seen in the graph below created by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of import HDPE film prices gained a premium of around $25/ton over import LLDPE film prices.
A bag manufacturer commented, “Most converters returned to their desks from the holidays last week and they started to source materials. However, traders’ HDPE supplies are quite tight. For this reason, HDPE prices are still firm while LLDPE film prices are slightly softening due to sufficient supplies. Traders and end-users are particularly looking for HDPE pipe while film and blow moulding inventories are also low.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low