Import PP, PE prices at 20-month-high in Turkey
In the PP market, Saudi Arabian PP raffia prices are reported at $1200/ton CIF Turkey, subject to 6.5% customs duty, cash, following deals at $1170-1190/ton last week. PP fibre offers moved up by $25-40/ton on the week to be given at $1240-1250/ton with the same terms.
“March PP hikes have been supported by the ongoing supply limitations from Europe and the Middle East. Moreover, the disrupted shipments from Iran ahead of Newroz Holiday exacerbated the tightness in Turkey recently,” commented a large trader.
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the import homo PP market reached the highest levels in 20 months on a weekly average. The market is currently carrying a premium of about $160/ton over import prices in China following the recent price gains, the data shows.
In the PE market, meanwhile, after a Saudi Arabian major pioneered new March prices with $40-50/ton hikes, more Middle Eastern sources approached the market with higher offers. Overall, the latest prices stand at $1350-1370/ton for LDPE film, $1260-1270/ton for LLDPE c4 film, $1210-1250/ton for HDPE film and $1180-1200/ton for HDPE b/m (small container), all CIF Turkey equivalent, subject to 6.5% customs duty, cash. Some players heard LDPE film deals at $1330/ton, meanwhile.
A Middle Eastern producer admitted, “We concluded some PE deals close to our initial March prices. However, it has been difficult to compete with other origins that provide a more competitive edge.” A trader opined, “We don’t think the upper ends will work as rather sufficient supplies from Iran despite the nearing Newroz along with moderate demand will allow smaller hikes to pass on transactions.”
Turkey’s import LDPE film market also hit the highest levels of 20 months on a weekly average, with a premium of $150/ton over China, according to ChemOrbis Price Index. HDPE film prices, which are highest since November 2015, also point to a delta of around $135/ton with China, while LLDPE prices have hit a 19 month-high recently and carry a premium of the same amount over that market.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will PVC prices ever come back to the pre-pandemic levels?
- Global petchem companies’ profits surge in Q1
- Polymer demand takes a heavy knock from deepening COVID crisis in India
- Stats: Turkey’s polymer imports rise to fresh records in Q1
- HDPE set to reach a plateau in Europe, LDPE fares better
- Bearish PP trend takes no respite on lackluster demand in Turkey
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months