Import PS markets hit almost one-year low in Asia
The softening trend has mostly been in place since mid-August in the midst of weak upstream and energy costs as well as limited demand.
The overall ranges for import GPPS and HIPS prices on CIF China/SEA basis witnessed additional decreases of ranging from $20/ton to $60/ton last week since sellers remained under pressure from lower costs.
“Spot styrene prices have posted another round of sharp declines and this is keeping our customers on the sidelines in anticipation of seeing further drops. We believe that market activities might pick up if spot styrene prices stabilize,” a source from a Taiwanese producer noted.
As can be seen in the below graph created by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of spot styrene prices on FOB Korea basis has recorded a cumulative decrease of around $265/ton since the downtrend kicked off at the start of October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Low overseas supplies prop up import PP prices in China
- Vietnam’s local PP, PE markets resume firming; LLDPE fails to catch up
- Are European ethylene contracts heading for 3rd straight month of hikes?
- Taiwanese major’s May PVC offers to Asia see larger-than-expected drops
- Asian ABS sellers renew confidence in shadow of volatile styrene
- Bullish run loses steam in Turkey’s PP, PE markets
- Tepid demand caps larger PP hikes in Europe, PE fares better
- Asian PET markets drift higher after explosion at Formosa’s plant
- Will turnarounds eliminate oversupply in China’s local PP market?
- European ABS faces large hikes on heels of costs