Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
What do the statistics tell us?
Overall PVC imports into EU28 declined 10% in the January-June period on a yearly basis, data suggest.
US imports suffer the most
US PVC imports, in particular, showed a greater reduction of 30% during the same period in the EU.
For Italy alone, the overall volume slightly increased in the first six months while American PVC imports plunged 45% from a year earlier.
When it comes to Turkey’s PVC imports for the January-July period of the year, the overall volume marked the lowest level in the last 10 years for this period, decreasing 18% on a yearly basis.
The country’s PVC imports from the US, meanwhile, were much more significantly down by 30% when compared to the same period of 2018. The additional tariffs Turkey started to apply on US PVC from last year played a role in this visible reduction along with fading buying interest among Turkish buyers.
Is a recovery possible in H2?
Players both in Europe and Turkey are not hopeful of a major recovery in PVC imports in the latter part of the year. The reason rests upon the concerns over the slowing global economy. Economists are downgrading their forecasts for economic growth for several regions.
The International Monetary Fund downgraded the world economic growth to 3.2% in 2019. The European Commission’s 2019 summer forecast also says economic growth in the EU would be 1.4%, down 0.6% points.
Turkey’s economy, meanwhile, fared better than forecast in the second quarter but growth will likely fall far short of the government’s expectations for the full year.
Given the fact that PVC consumption mainly pertains to the economic performance, demand for import cargoes is not expected to catch up the previous years either in the EU or in Turkey.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Recovering downstream activity supports sentiment for PET bottle in China
- Activity pick-up sends Asian spot C3 market into recovery mode
- Total polymer imports to EU28 hit record high in 2019
- March PE expectations in Turkey weighed by new capacities, cooling demand
- PP prices hit 4-year low in China as demand remains minimal
- Taiwanese major’s March PVC offers to Asia up despite virus fears
- Virus-impacted demand inflicts toll on Vietnam's PE market
- HDPE fails to track firmer trend of LD, LLDPE in Europe
- China’s ABS market on soft path dragged by subdued demand
- Softening trend prevails in SEA PP market as virus fears dampen sentiment