Import PVC market’s premium over VCM shrinks in China
China’s import PVC market witnessed decreases over the past week in line with softening local offers while spot VCM prices in Asia maintained their high levels on the back of tight supplies. As a result, the gap between PVC and VCM prices narrowed further last week to reach $93/ton, the smallest since December 2014.
In Asia, spot VCM prices were reported to track a stable path at $820/ton CFR Far East Asia and $840/ton CFR Southeast Asia as of the end of last week after weeks of steady gains. A few players attributed stable VCM prices to pressure from low PVC demand. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard data, however, CFR Far East Asia based spot VCM prices on a weekly average basis are still standing at a two year high.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
A trader based in China commented, “PVC prices are globally tracking a softening trend. Players in China have retreated to the sidelines to see further decreases on import prices in line with the softening local market.”
Meanwhile, in Southeast Asia, a source from a major Indonesian VCM producer stated that their supplies are likely to remain tight until June 2017 due to a planned maintenance shutdown at their plant in the first quarter of next year.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Crude oil prices seesaw on geopolitics and ebbing demand
- China’s local PP markets return on a cautiously firm note, defying weak fundamentals
- Mid-Eastern PP, PE markets rise in February after three months of weakness
- Stats: China’s 2023 PE imports snap two-year downfall despite rapidly growing domestic capacities
- PE rally loses momentum on subsiding demand in Türkiye
- PVC prices flat for 2nd straight month in Italy and West Europe
- Freight rates snap rally, Red Sea crisis keeps decreases in check
- Worsening dollar shortage pushes Egypt’s local PP, PE prices to never-before-seen highs
- Stats: US PE exports hit a renewed record in 2023, sales to China boom
- Türkiye’s PP market continues to grapple with tight supply, prices at multi-month highs