Import PVC market’s premium over VCM shrinks in China
China’s import PVC market witnessed decreases over the past week in line with softening local offers while spot VCM prices in Asia maintained their high levels on the back of tight supplies. As a result, the gap between PVC and VCM prices narrowed further last week to reach $93/ton, the smallest since December 2014.
In Asia, spot VCM prices were reported to track a stable path at $820/ton CFR Far East Asia and $840/ton CFR Southeast Asia as of the end of last week after weeks of steady gains. A few players attributed stable VCM prices to pressure from low PVC demand. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard data, however, CFR Far East Asia based spot VCM prices on a weekly average basis are still standing at a two year high.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
A trader based in China commented, “PVC prices are globally tracking a softening trend. Players in China have retreated to the sidelines to see further decreases on import prices in line with the softening local market.”
Meanwhile, in Southeast Asia, a source from a major Indonesian VCM producer stated that their supplies are likely to remain tight until June 2017 due to a planned maintenance shutdown at their plant in the first quarter of next year.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tight supplies keep Asian PVC markets bullish
- Crude oil market sentiment turns in favour of bulls
- Will European PVC take a breather from 9-month downtrend in February?
- Supply limitations bolster Feb PP and PE outlook in Turkey
- China’s import PP markets climb to 6-month highs prior to Lunar New Year
- Weak activities press import PE, PP suppliers for discounts in Egypt
- Price erosion continues inside Middle Eastern polyolefins markets
- European PP, PE markets open 2023 with renewed drops
- Tight supply keeps expectations bullish in Turkey’s PVC market
- End of China’s ‘zero-COVID’ stance: Double-edged sword for Asia PVC, PP and PE markets