India cancels high-denomination banknotes
Media reports noted that people could only get cash from the banks due to closed ATMs and that businesses declined to take 500 and 1,000 rupee notes in many place such as train stations, taxis, shops and even hospitals.
After the sudden withdrawal of the high-value notes from circulation, implemented for the purpose of combatting corruption, black-market trade and tax evasion, many Indians who faced cash flow problems panicked and waited in long bank queues to exchange their high-value banknotes.
According to analysts, the Indian economy may be badly influenced by the sudden withdrawal for the near term. However, this move would cut corruption and increase the financing of the government. Therefore, they believe that the move will be positive at the end. The rise in inflation is expected to be prevented via reducing property prices on a large scale.
A source from a domestic petrochemical producer commented, “The government’s sudden decision has created chaos in the market. Banks were closed for two days while withdrawal amounts were limited at ATMs. This means that players returned from the Diwali holidays with no money to spend. Demand was expected to pick up after the holidays, yet the post-holiday activity is disappointing as everything has slowed down.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem