India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
Import PVC K67 prices of overall origins were assessed $30/ton lower from last week at $1640-1700/ton CIF India, cash basis.
Despite the fall, the weekly average of PVC prices on CIF India basis remained 260% higher than the levels in May 2020, when the longest ever price rally first kicked off.
COVID-19 crisis likely to dampen pre-monsoon buying interest
India’s death toll from the pandemic has gone beyond 200,000 amid a shortage of oxygen, medical supplies and hospital staff. The deadly second wave has seen around 300,000 people tested positive for the virus daily which has overwhelmed healthcare facilities.
PVC players in the country reported that downstream manufacturing sectors are again facing disruptions since more states impose fresh curbs on public movement and transport to contain the spread of the virus. “We might face closures at ports due to partial lockdowns, and PVC supplies to the country might be disrupted,” a few players commented.
With the surge in COVID-19 cases yet to reach its peak, market players expect sharp pressure on PVC demand and prices in the near term. “We may not see the traditional demand increase ahead of the monsoon season this year due to the COVID crisis in the country,” noted traders.
India’s monsoon season lasts from June to September and stretches longer in some years. During that period, heavy rains impede both building construction and agriculture sectors while rough seas make loading and unloading at ports difficult.
Prices may remain under pressure despite still-tight supplies
Most players believe that PVC prices in India may remain under pressure over the near term given fading demand amid the second wave of the pandemic.
“We might see lower June offers from a major Taiwanese producer despite the ongoing shortage of availability across regional and global markets,” some commented.
The Taiwanese major lifted its May offers by $30/ton after applying a massive hike of $300/ton for April.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian polymer markets unfazed by crude oil rally
- India’s polymer demand slowly heals pandemic-inflicted wounds
- LDPE faces a tougher slog in Asia, Europe still on a tear
- Weakness extends to June in Saudi Arabian PP, PE markets
- European PP signals stabilization after 7 months of hikes
- Turkish plastic recycling market in deadlock–solution awaited on import waste ban
- Asia PVC markets decline to 3-month low as downturn fueled by June announcements
- Limited demand leads to further PP, PE declines in China; LDPE hits 6-month low
- African PP, PE markets soften into June
- European PS, ABS under pressure from upstream markets