India’s PVC market sees little impact from bullish China ahead of May offers
Supply levels have decreased amidst several shutdowns in China while domestic demand has improved in line with the start of the high season, supporting an uptrend. On the other hand, import PVC prices in India have been mostly stable at their lowest levels since the start of 2018, as can be seen in the below ChemOrbis Price Wizard graph.
Data reveal that the weekly average of import PVC prices on CFR China basis have slightly moved above India for the first time since February 2016.
A few Chinese producers applied further hikes of around $10/ton on their acetylene-based PVC offers to India, pointing to the firming trend in their own market.
“Higher offers from China haven’t seen any interest from Indian buyers, who prefer to adopt a wait-and-see stance ahead of a Taiwanese major’s May announcement,” some traders noted.
The major Taiwanese producer is expected to announce its May PVC offers by next week while players’ overall expectations mostly center on rollovers or slight decreases from April.
A source from the producer said, “We might keep our new prices stable at April levels, yet the ongoing tepid stance of demand in India is likely to exert some pressure on the May outlook despite the bullish sentiment in China.”
The major producer had approached the Indian market with a $20/ton hike for April, which was not followed by most Asian producers given buyers’ lack of appetite.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- June expectations surface in Mid-Eastern, African polyolefin markets
- China’s local PVC market retreats from 8-month high
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally