Indonesia’s polyolefin markets signal further weakness towards year-end
An Indonesian converter reported that offers they received for homo-PP raffia and PPBC inj. decreased by IDR800,000/ton ($57/ton) on the week and commented, “Local PP offers have lost further ground this week due to weak buying interest. We think that the market will welcome the year-end under the same conditions.”
Downward trajectory in place since August
Local PE prices have mostly been on a downward trend since late July this year, according to ChemOrbis Price Index. They are currently standing near their lowest since 2008. PP prices also turned down in August before witnessing a short-lived upturn in September. They cancelled all their gains in the following months to hit a 2-year-low.
Sluggish demand is to blame for weak PP, PE markets
Lower PP and PE prices across import and local markets are mainly attributed to thin buying interest, Indonesian players agree.
Players do not expect to see a demand recovery in any time soon as buyers maintain their wait-and-see stance in anticipation of further price reductions. Plus, trading activities are likely to slow further down in the weeks to come due to the year-end holidays.
Deep-sea US PE cargoes add to supply pressure
While inventory levels are already high across Southeast Asian markets, deep-sea US PE cargoes are adding increasing supply pressure on the market.
An Indonesian trader also reported that their offers for Saudi origin HDPE film and LLDPE film were down by $20/ton from late November. “PE prices have posted a new round of decreases this week. Apart from the lack of support from the demand-side, multi-origin offerings also weighed on prices, including cheap US cargoes,” he said.
Capacity expansions for PP in Indonesia
Ample overseas PP supply has been reinforcing concerns in Southeast Asia. Apart from this, major local producers in Indonesia including Chandra Asri and Polytama Propindo had been through capacity expansions in 2019, raising local PP availability by around 200,000 tons/year.
To track the most updated PP production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
Local producer cuts HDPE, PP raffia, PPRC again
A local producer in Indonesia started this week with further price reductions of up to IDR420,000/ton ($30/ton) for HDPE, PPRC injection and homo-PP raffia and injection while implementing a small increase of IDR10,000/ton ($1/ton) on its offers for LLDPE, homo-PP film and PPBC injection.
The producer has been mostly applying a softer pricing on its PP and PE offers to its local market since early October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets