Initial June PE offers surface with up to 3-digit hikes in Europe
Accordingly, a South European producer revealed its initial PE offers for June with increases of up to €100/ton while sellers in the distribution channel started to offer mostly with increases of €70-80/ton.
They are now waiting for the reaction of the market, which has not been satisfactory so far. A large-scaled distributor opined, “The state of demand will determine whether large increases pass on June deals or not.”
Although sellers’ margin recovery intentions are supported by higher upstream costs, the prevailing market conditions are not deemed as convenient to allow them to achieve initial hike attempts. A seller who started offering with €80/ton increases for all PE grades admitted, “Demand is still weak and large increases therefore might not work.”
Regional buyers do not seem to be in a rush to buy as they expect competitive offers to emerge as the month wears on. In Italy, a distributor projected, “Considering weak demand and the ongoing ample availability, June deals might be closed with smaller increases of €30-40/ton instead of initial €80/ton hikes.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand
- Taiwanese major hikes Aug PVC offers to Asia as limited availability outweighs monsoon effect
- East African PP, PE markets on rise for July but deals still scarce