Initial June PE offers surface with up to 3-digit hikes in Europe
Accordingly, a South European producer revealed its initial PE offers for June with increases of up to €100/ton while sellers in the distribution channel started to offer mostly with increases of €70-80/ton.
They are now waiting for the reaction of the market, which has not been satisfactory so far. A large-scaled distributor opined, “The state of demand will determine whether large increases pass on June deals or not.”
Although sellers’ margin recovery intentions are supported by higher upstream costs, the prevailing market conditions are not deemed as convenient to allow them to achieve initial hike attempts. A seller who started offering with €80/ton increases for all PE grades admitted, “Demand is still weak and large increases therefore might not work.”
Regional buyers do not seem to be in a rush to buy as they expect competitive offers to emerge as the month wears on. In Italy, a distributor projected, “Considering weak demand and the ongoing ample availability, June deals might be closed with smaller increases of €30-40/ton instead of initial €80/ton hikes.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Low overseas supplies prop up import PP prices in China
- Vietnam’s local PP, PE markets resume firming; LLDPE fails to catch up
- Are European ethylene contracts heading for 3rd straight month of hikes?
- Taiwanese major’s May PVC offers to Asia see larger-than-expected drops
- Asian ABS sellers renew confidence in shadow of volatile styrene
- Bullish run loses steam in Turkey’s PP, PE markets
- Tepid demand caps larger PP hikes in Europe, PE fares better
- Asian PET markets drift higher after explosion at Formosa’s plant
- Will turnarounds eliminate oversupply in China’s local PP market?
- European ABS faces large hikes on heels of costs