Initial June PE offers surface with up to 3-digit hikes in Europe
Accordingly, a South European producer revealed its initial PE offers for June with increases of up to €100/ton while sellers in the distribution channel started to offer mostly with increases of €70-80/ton.
They are now waiting for the reaction of the market, which has not been satisfactory so far. A large-scaled distributor opined, “The state of demand will determine whether large increases pass on June deals or not.”
Although sellers’ margin recovery intentions are supported by higher upstream costs, the prevailing market conditions are not deemed as convenient to allow them to achieve initial hike attempts. A seller who started offering with €80/ton increases for all PE grades admitted, “Demand is still weak and large increases therefore might not work.”
Regional buyers do not seem to be in a rush to buy as they expect competitive offers to emerge as the month wears on. In Italy, a distributor projected, “Considering weak demand and the ongoing ample availability, June deals might be closed with smaller increases of €30-40/ton instead of initial €80/ton hikes.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkish polymer players sidelined prior to Sunday’s elections
- Initial reactions from Egyptian players to austerity measures
- PP sentiment softens on buyers’ resistance in Vietnam
- Spot propylene in Europe, US carries highest premium over ethylene in several years
- European PET players wait for supplies to improve amid record-high prices
- China’s PE market displays weak trend on increasing overseas supplies
- European sellers achieve propylene hike on PP deals in Germany, Italy
- July PVC offers to Asia revealed with hikes amid shutdowns
- Higher supply from US, Russia sends oil prices down further ahead of OPEC meeting
- China’s PP market set for a new wave of shutdowns for rest of 2018